pic1

26 Cornet Street

A jewel in the Trust’s crown is 26 Cornet Street which was acquired in 1983.

Standing in one of the most infamous streets in the island’s history, this unique 18th century townhouse is possibly the earliest remaining complete building within St Peter Port’s medieval boundaries.

The property was lovingly and painstakingly restored by the Trust over a five-year period as a Victorian Shop and Parlour. It operates over two floors and houses an extensive collection of traditional gifts and souvenirs. Well worth a visit!

The shop is open 19th April – 1st October Tuesday – Saturday 10am-4pm
Telephone: 01471 728451

Perry’s Guide Ref: SPP 5L8-M9
Bus Route: Terminus

pic1

Les Caches Farm

The latest addition to the Museum portfolio is Les Caches Farm, set in a peaceful rural setting in Les Villets, a hamlet in the Forest. This wonderful example of a mid 19th century Guernsey farmhouse and barn came into the organisation’s possession in 1993 through a generous bequest by Miss Ruth Le Huray and was opened to the public in 2009.

In 1999 the Trust embarked on the extensive and sympathetic restoration of the main house, preserving as much of the original fabric of the building as was possible.

pic1

Brockhurst

Brockhurst was sold to the Trust in 2000 by the late Mrs. Florian Carr for the token sum of one guinea. Located in St Peter Port, its history can be traced back to 1706 when records show that the land on which it sits was once owned by Pierre Henry.

Today Brockhurst stands as a magnificent example of a Regency building. It is privately tenanted and not open to the general public.

pic1

Nos 1 and 2 Esperanza

Miss Ruth Le Huray’s generous legacy of 1993 incorporated Nos 1 and 2 Esperanza, as well as Les Caches Barn. All properties were in need of extensive and careful restoration.

These 19th Century charming cottages have been carefully restored by the Trust, with much of the joinery and period features being retained and conserved as typical examples of the period. Both properties are privately tenanted and not open to the general public.

pic1

Le Moulin de Quanteraine

Dating from the 16th Century, Le Moulin de Quanteraine is a unique farm complex which was given to the Trust in 1989 by Mrs. Elizabeth Silten. The main farmhouse has been expertly restored along with the ancient water wheel – an express wish of Mrs. Silten.

The waterwheel has enjoyed two expert restorations during the last twenty years. Both times, the work was undertaken by College of Further Education students reflecting the Trust’s commitment to the preservation of traditional crafts.

Le Moulin de Quanteraine was the last water mill to function in Guernsey, closing in the 1930’s. Its conservation has safeguarded an important chapter in the island’s history.

pic1

Glenbardie

This property came to the Trust as part of the Thurley Loveridge Bequest and is a large Georgian town house which would have been built as a gentleman’s residence.

The house is a four-bay building implying the classic lines of the period but unusually without a front entrance. The property is approached through an alley fronted by a double door. The facade is stucco-finished and the slate roof is partially hidden behind a cornice and parapet. Two bay-fronted roof dormers, typical of the period, complement the generous sash window.

The property enjoys the pitter patter of tiny feet as it is now let out as a pre-school day nursery.

pic1

18th Century Coastal Tower No. 15, Fermain Bay

This watchtower is one of a series of fifteen built in Guernsey in 1778/79. Their purpose was to support batteries at possible landing places.

Their construction was triggered by the French becoming allied with the Americans in their War of independence, following which the Governor of Jersey was convinced that France would seek to invade the Channel Islands. The towers were numbered anti-clockwise from St. Peter Port and this example is thus No. 15.

The Ferguson family lived in the tower in the 1860s and Charles William Ferguson was born in the tower in 1869. In the late 1880s the Mallett family conducted a catering business from the tower.

In 1928 the family started a ferry service from St. Peter Port which continued until 1993 with the exception of the German Occupation 1940-45. Fermain was placed out of bounds to civilians and heavily mined. The tower was manned as a machine gun post. In 1946 Percy Ferguson with his father resumed the ferry service with a rescue craft used at Dunkirk in June 1940 which they named the “Silver Queen.”

The tower was bequeathed to the National Trust of Guernsey in 2002 by Percy Ferguson. The plaque has been added at the request of Percy Ferguson to commemorate his parents Alice Ruby Matilda and Cecil B. Ferguson.

pic1

The Ivy Gates

The Ivy Gates, Rohais, St Peter Port were the first property to be owned by the National Trust of Guernsey, and were gifted to the Trust in 1967 by the Heirs of the late Henrietta Herries.

Built c.1640, the Gates formed the massive arch to the avenue originally leading to Les Granges de Beauvoir Manor, one arch for coaches and the smaller arch for pedestrians which appears to be very low owing to the road levels having been built up over the years.

As the Arch is today, kept free of ivy, the coat of arms of the de Beauvoir family, who acquired the property in 1603, can be seen.

pic1

The Ozanne Tower

Andrew Dyke, NTG’s Building Advisor, describes The Ozanne Tower as “a lovely little building”.

NTG purchased the Ozanne Tower at Ruette de la Tour, Castel (Perry’s Guide Page 8, B4) from the States Water Board.

Ozanne Tower is an imposing square-shaped grey granite structure. It was built as a folly in the mid 19th century by the Ozanne family whose family home, Les Mourains, is opposite Saumarez Park. The Ozanne family coat-of-arms is clearly visible above the entrance door of the tower.

The tower has magnificent views over the west coast of Guernsey. The exact year in which the folly was purchased by the de Saumarez family is unknown but was probably towards the end of the 19th century. Lord de Saumarez turned the tower into a museum containing objects he had collected whilst posted abroad, including a brick from the Great Wall of China.

Ownership of the Tower remained with the de Saumarez family until 1938 when the estate was split up and Saumarez Park and outlying land sold to the States of Guernsey. During the German Occupation, the Tower was used as a lookout for an anti aircraft battery located close by. In 1980, the then States Archaeology Officer expressed a view that the base stones of the Tower could be part of a prehistoric tomb. The elevated hill on which the Tower stands would have been an ideal site for Iron Age defence and, in 1982, pottery dating c. 500-400 BC, was found in the vicinity.

The Ozanne Tower has been purchased as a very rare example of a folly which is worthy of preservation and restoration.

pic1

Les Ecrilleurs

Land at Les Ecrilleurs was presented to NTG by the Le Poidevin Family in memory of Peter John Le Poidevin (1936-1994). A granite seat is finely placed to enjoy superb surroundings and sea views.

Jeanne Langford and her husband Peter, recently set out to visit and photograph this lovely land. She writes:-

“Les Ecrilleurs is not the easiest place to find and one needs a Perry’s Guide to identify the “bay” of Les Ecrilleurs, i.e., a stony rocky inaccessible place at the base of the cliffs. It is wonderfully wild and there are lovely valleys descending to the sea, and superb rocky outcrops.

We started our walk at Le Prevote and wound our way back to the Pleinmont Road. It would be difficult to do it the other way round as there is no parking where the path emerges onto the road.”

pic1

Le Prevote

Land at Le Prevote: Generous sponsorship from The Co-Op has enabled us to carry out a long-standing wish at NTG to create a coastal walk at Le Prevote. Clearance has taken place together with the creation of some new bridges and existing stone walls.

The cliff-land slopes of La Prevote lie to the right of the road which leads to Le Prevote Tower and comprises the eastern half of the Clifton Valley. A small field at Le Coemy is traversed by a path that creates a short circular route.

pic1

Vaux de Monel, Pleinmont

May Bonamy Collings was a founder member and donated the first plot of land to the Trust, Le Vaux de Monel.

NTG has a strongholding of land on the SW coast of Guernsey. Vaux de Monel is more commonly known as the inland area, rising up and over the top of Pleinmont’s first peninsular when approached from Portelet. Outstanding views reach over Portelet, Rocquaine and a good deal of the West Coast.

pic1

Jerbourg Headland

This Trust site provides a picnic-perfect field which bursts with Spring daffodils. It slopes down to the verdant east coast cliffs, with views over the Little Russell to Herm and Sark. Benches provide tranquil resting spots.

To find this site: take the bus, or park at Doyle Monument Perrys Guide Ref 25G3.

Walk inland for 50 yards where a grassy slope leads down to the cliff path to Marble Bay and La Divette Pier. The paths through this site have a number of seats where one can rest and enjoy the spectacular views over the Little Russel, St Peter Port and Herm Island.

The cliff path can be taken along to Jerbourg Point and the lane leading back to the Doyle Monument.

pic1

Houmet Paradis

This small island was purchased in 2004 by a group of anonymous locals for the people of Guernsey and comes under the stewardship of the Trust. The tranquil island is accessible at low tide and is a haven for rabbits and birds. It is a great place for bird watching although access during the nesting season is restricted.

pic1

Le Bigard & La Plain des Camprots

This cliff top plateau offers wide open seascapes and rugged cliffs which contrast with the maze of grassy paths and fields of bracken. Hundreds of saplings have recently been planted in the area – English oak, ash, wild pear, crab apple and holly.

Perry’s Guide Ref 28 A5.

pic1

The Ron Short Walk

It was past lands’ director, Ron Short, who planned this route through the rural uplands above Talbot Valley, but sadly did not live to see it completed. The walk opened up rural vistas otherwise unseen and inaccessible.

Perry’s Guide Ref: 23 E1

The second property in this area, is a water meadow providing a habitat which supports a spring show of orchids.

Perry’s Guide Ref: 23 F2.

pic1

Le Catioroc Area

A Napoleonic fort and megalithic Le Trepied dolmen make a striking prelude to these Trust lands which lie between the coast road and Le Chemin de Roi. From the seaward side a walk runs along the coast to the headland opposite Lihou Island and a small corridor of Trust land leading to the Creux es Faies domen.

Perry’s Guide Ref: 12 D4